Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It's more than just moving

Reagan reminded me that I haven't been on my blog in almost a month. Everything has been crazy in my life in the last few weeks that writing on my blog has been the last thing on my mind. Not only that, but I did start a blog entry when I was at the writers conference a few weeks ago and got distracted and never finished it. But the time has come that I must write again, because as soon as Reagan reminded me that I hadn't written in my blog I realized I really need to write in my blog. My dad just bought a new laptop computer to once again I can sit in my bed with a computer on my lap and type to my hearts content. It has been an amazing summer. I can't say that I have had a stranger one than this. As a matter of fact I have to say that I have had one of the strangest years of my life. I year ago I would never have imagined that I would have a ring on my finger, would be planning a wedding, and my leaving my job to move to a totally new state. This Saturday I will be saying good bye to the place I have called my work place for 3 years this Friday. I have been working as a photo lab person for 3 very hard long years. I can't so that I have enjoyed every minute of it, but I have to say that I wouldn't have traded all the experiences for anything. I loved working for the people of my home town. I made friends with many of them. I know a lot of people by name. I have celebrated all the good times with them and have cried during the hard times. I have been around the world without actually ever leaving my work place in front of the photo computer. I have learned a lot of things about people that I would never have begun to learn had I not taken this job 3 years ago. I also discovered my love for photography just by looking at other peoples photos and saying "Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could do pictures like that?" I guess I honestly have to admit that I didn't realize how many friends I have made by the people I take care of on a weekly bases until I started telling them that I would be leaving at the end of August. Whenever I tell them that I will be leaving, some of the first things that come out of their mouths is "Why?" I tell them it is because Reagan lives out in Texas and I want to be closer to him. But in reality there is a lot more to it then what meets the eye. Reagan is not the only reason I am going to Texas. For me it is a time for change. I feel that my ministry here is finished and that it is time to start a new one. My life needs to turn into a completely different direction. In a lot of ways I feel that God is calling me to leave my comfort zone and begin something different outside of my bubble. It won't be easy. I know that I will be giving up a lot in order to leave. I am giving up to the ability to see my family often. I am giving up my ability to see my new niece, Emily Grace, when she is born in October. I am also leaving my friends behind. But am I really giving those things up? I really don't think that I am. People may see my leaving as giving up seeing my family often, but I still have family. Reagan is my family and so is his family. They are close to me and will have a lot of interaction with them. Yes I will have to give up my ability to see my new niece, but that doesn't mean that I can not still be an important part of her life. I can't say that I am giving up on my friend. Yes I do have friends here, but not friends that I cam going to miss and those that I will miss I will still have contact with them. Moving for me is not about moving. It's about a new way of life. On Thursday, August 21 I will be embarking on a new chapter in my life. I will be traveling from my long time home of NY to the foreign country of Texas. It will be hard, but it will also be an adventure. Someone told just recently, "Where you go is what you make it out to be." If you go believing that you were meant to be there, that God is calling you to go, you will have a happy experience, but if you grumble and refuse to except the fact that you are here and not there, you will never find true happiness. Something that I have told my good friends is "If We are in the center of God's will, we can never be unhappy. If for some reason we are unhappy with our circumstances we need to be sure that we are in God's will. On Saturday as I walk out the door to work for the last time, I am more than sure that I will have tears in my eyes if not tears coming done my cheeks. I will miss the friends I have made, but I am about ready to embark on adventure that will take me to place I have never been before. I am going to take you with me. For the next few weeks I am going to attempt a nightly writing in my blog. Starting with packing and other preparations. I will then be letting you ride along as I discover places I have never seen before. I hope you will join me.

No comments: