Thursday, July 10, 2008

Packing it up!

I have come to discover that my mom is right. Packing gets harder the older you get. I have come to the conclusion that I really need to throw away a lot of stuff, which if you have see what I have been doing in the last few months you will know that I have probably thrown away 30 pounds of paper (Yes I did recycle) and proabably equally that much collectable garbage.
But throwing away memories hurts me more than it does my attic. As a matter of fact, if you go to the back of my attic where all of my stuff is, you can actually lie down and take a nap. Wouldn't suggest it though. A box might fall and hit you.
Right now I am going through my boxes and totes and saying, "Need now, need later, need when I have kids, probably need to just plain throw away!"
I have gotten rid of many boxes that way.
I've actually almost forgotten what it was like to pack up my boxes and move. Nine years is a long time to stay in one place and traveling back and forth to school doesn't offically count. I have to admit though I am feeling just a little bit like I am packing for school. In this case I have to pack as if I am going to school. Take only what you need without the school books. Thank you Lord!
Things that you own become your friends over the years. They are familiar to you and when you have to give them up it can be like you are in morning for the death of a dear friend. Sometimes it is all I can do to let that item slip out of my hands into the garbage can or even into the pile for the garage sale. I put it into a I'll think about it pile and then when I am not thinking I will just throw it away and not realize I did it. That works with me!
Isn't it funny? One minute you see something you had forgotten even exsisted anymore and the next moment you think you have to keep for some odd reason because you think you might need it again. I do that all the time, but who knows why!? Seriously am I really going to use it someday or is it going to continue to clutter up my room and attic?
So I suppose I should really stop writing on my blog and go do some packing. Maybe say good bye to a few good "friends".
I have to admit I am really looking forward to this move. Going all the way across to the other side of the country, a part of the country I have never actually been to before. To be like the pioneers of old who said "Go West, Young Man, Go West!" Okay so in this case it is "Go West, Young Woman, Go West!" I'm going, I'm going!
Well back to debating with the boxes.
Watch out Texas, here I come!

No comments: