Monday, November 20, 2006

Thanksgiving Part I

I love Thanksgiving. I guess in some ways it is my favorite holiday. Even more so sometimes then Christmas. I guess maybe the reason is becuase my family has been celebrating Thanksgiving together for as many years as I can remember and when my grandparents went to Florida every year we not only celebrated Thanksgiving, but also Christmas. I think maybe for me it was the fact that my entire family seemed to squash together in my grandparents little trailer and just enjoy each others company. This year is going to be even more special because it looks like everyone is going to be there. The sad part is I haven't seen most of them since my grandfathers funeral and my grandmother is not as healthy as she once was so we are all going to be there for her.
We had a little scare this week. My grandmother thought she might have had colon cancer (that is what my grandfather had), but praise the Lord she only has something similar to what I have. Inflamed Colitis.
Which puts me to thinking about couting my blessings.
I could go on and on what the Lord as done for me this past year, but I think I am going to break it up some and put what I am thankful for on different days.
I think first and formost I am thankful for my health. Although I am not perfectly healthy I am thankful for the little red pills called Asacol that I have to take every day. During my four years in college I was so sick all the time that I sometimes wondered if I was going to live. The pains that racked through my intestines were enough to bend me over double. But God put into the minds of a briliant man the formula for a little pill that has helped me get my life back on track. I know that sounds strange, but the Lord had a lesson for me to learn and purhaps there is still much I need to learn. I am also thankful for the fact that I get them free.
I am thankful for my family. I don't know what I would do without any of them. They are always there for me and I don't know what I would do without the support of my family.
Being thankful is very easy to do when it comes to good things, but I was reminded on Sunday about the fact that we have so much trouble Thanking God for the bad things. The Bible doesn't say in everything give thanks for nothing. Everything that comes our way always has a reason and we should always be willing to look to find out how we can thank God for it.

No comments: