Sunday, November 18, 2007

What are you Thankful for?

I don't know about you, but so often I go through my days and totally forget to be thankful. When I was in college I would get up every morning when the bell rang and at the time we all had to be up with our feet on the floor by 7, and I would have nothing positive to say.
I am not a morning person by any means and having to get up so early in the morning every day just made things worse. I would go to the breakfast table every day and complain. Finally a friend of mine couldn't stand it any longer. She looked at me and said "Don't you do anything, but complain in the morning?"
Ouch! That hit me hard.
Then she suggested that when I get up in the morning that before my feet even touched the ground I should think of something to praise God about, even if it was just being able to open my eyes in the morning. She said that it would actually help me in the morning and throughout the day.
So I tried it. And you know what? It really works. I was shocked. So I started to do it every day and the days I forgot I could see the difference. One thing is for sure, I never had to worry about my friend yelling at me for being so negative at the breakfast table again.
But I pose the question. What are you thankful for?
Okay so it's Thanksgiving on Thursday and right now everyone is trying to think of things that they can say they are thankful for. Right off the bat you have family, friends, job, roof, food. You know the normally stuff people say when they are asked to say what they are thankful for in church.
But what are things that you should be thankful for that you don't notice. What about green grass because if it wasn't green, but brown all the time, it wouldn't be pretty. The sunset and the beautiful work of art God makes in the sky every night. How about the bees and the wasps? Did you know that with out those nasty little creatures we wouldn't have the beautiful flowers or the delicious fruits and vegetables that grow in our gardens. How about medicine? How about our comfortable furniture. What about the rain and floods or even the fire that wipes out half a state? For that matter hurricanes?
Everything that we see here on earth is for a purpose. Amazing isn't it just how much you can be thankful for. It's no wonder Paul told us to be Thankful for everything. It's because you can be thankful for everything even if it seems like a bad thing.
Being thankful is not really hard to do. It really should be a daily routine like brushing your teeth. SO when you get up in the morning tomorrow, before your feet even touch the ground on your way to the bathroom thank the Lord for that Noisy truck outside collecting garbage or the annoying squirrel chattering on a branch right out side your bedroom window. Or maybe even for the warm blankets that you used last night. Or the warm shower you know you will have.
Then throughout the day when you start to get a negative attitude because your boss once again didn't trust you to do something, thank God you can be there as a testimony to your boss and that even though your boss doesn't trust you, you can still go on in life knowing that you have never done anything untrustworthy.
Try it! It's addicting and you will want to start doing it every day.

No comments: