Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Letting God be God

I have come to the conclution that it is in our nature to try to act like God. Whenever something happens in our lives we try to fix it when in reality we are too weak and really don't have the ability to do it.
I have to say that I am one of those people that have to come to grips with the fact that God is in control of all of the circumstance of life.
I have a friend who is more like a sister to me then a friend. Several months ago I had a real urge to pray for her. I didn't really know what it was all about, but I determined that if ever I had someone pop into my head even if it was someone I hadn't heard about in years, I was going to pray right then and there. So I prayed for my friend. She came to my mind often and I made sure that I prayed for her even though I hadn't heard from her in a while.
Then I got an email from her brother who is in Iraq. He told me that my friend was in trouble and I knew right then and there why it was I had been praying for her all that time.
I continued to pray and tried to write to her, but she never answered. I started to call myself all kinds of a fool because I hadn't realized what was going on way back from the last time she had called me on the phone. I felt that if I had been there or called her, I could have helped the situation. I felt totally helpless and I will admit to you I wept very hard for her.
I contined to pray for her still wishing I could help her ln someway. But it was all out of my hands.
Then I got an email saying she was doing better. I was thankful my prayers had been answered.
My relief however was completely shattered when I got an email saying that she was in trouble all over again. I wanted to scream at myself. I wanted to do something about it. I wanted to be there for her, but had no way of doing it.
Her brother wrote to me again telling me how he wished that he could do something and that because he was so many thousands of miles away he was starting to stress out about not being there. I started to write to him that God was in control and that we shouldn't worry about it. It was then that I realized that I had been doing exactly what I had just told him not to do. I was trying to be God and trying to figure a way to fix things. It hit me that although I can't see what is going on right now other than all the bad and the heartache, I can be completely assured that My Big God, the one who made everything, the one who has been around from the very beginning and always will be has a Much big line of sight. He sees the whole picture. He has known that this would happen long before we were even born and he knew that everything would work out. In His wonderful master plan He has something so wonderous instore for my friend and her family that I nor anyone else can see. It is going to be so amazing when it happens it will be like a light bulb clinking on.
That kind of reminds me of the light bulbs my dad just recently put in the computer room. They are the energy saving light bulbs and if you have them you know that when you flip on the light switch they are actually very low in brightness, but within just a few minutes the lights get brighter and brighter until finally you can see perfectly fine.
I think that is the way things happen in our lives. We switch on a light that shines on a situation with our lives and at first it is very dark and get annoyed because you eyes aren't adjusting very quickly to the lights. Then all of a sudden it starts to get brighter and brighter until at last you can finally see the whole picture.
God knew right from the start that we would worry, that's why He told us so many times that He is completely in control of everything that is happening and that we don't need to worry.
"For everything there is a time and a purpose for everything under the Heavens."
"And all things work together for good to them who love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."
So let us learn to let God be God. He has a fabulous plan awaiting us that we can't see yet until the light has come to it's full strength.

No comments: