Saturday, January 05, 2008

First Post for the Year

The last two weeks I have been running on high gear. I am sure you have to. Christmas isn't the easiest time of year to sit down and relax. But now It's all over. I am sure most of you have taken down the Christmas tree, my mom did. You may have left some decorations to remember the season, but most of them have been put away in the dusty attic for another year. The Apple has dropped in New York City and that to has been put away for another year to collect dust. The Floats for the Rose Parade are being taken down. What ever happens to all those flowers?
And so here we are. 2008. What's next?
I am going to admit to you right now that I don't like New Years Resolutions. People make them to break them anyway. They try to do too much and get over whelmed. I am trying a totally different approach this year. I am taking little step and making small goals and reaching them before I go on to the next one. It's not a "This year I am going to do such and such" and hope I get it done sometime this year. It's more of "For this many days I am going to do this and when I am finished I am going to go on to the next thing". Smaller steps lead to more things getting accomplished. It works a lot better.
That's not to say I don't have some things I would like to get accomplished this year. I have some resolves and not resolutions.
One resolve is to finish my book. And we aren't talking about sometime this year. First I am going to start by editing and rewriting. Then editing again. Then let some people look it over and tell me what they think. I have a set goal to be finished and if I get it done I will reward myself. I think that if I tell myself there is a reward for getting it done, I will be more likely to get it done.
I have to hurry up. I already have a crazy new Idea popping up in my head and I need to get it out before I forget that too.
I have a few more goals I would like to see accomplished, and I will be working on them, but it may take more than just one year to work them out. Long term goals that didn't start on January 1 and will end on December 31. More of Opportunities I guess you might say.
You never know what might happen. I will let you know once I have them worked out in my own mind.
SO I guess what I am coming to is this, Why is it that so many people think that on January 1 they have to tie themselves down with a New Years resolution they know they are going to end up breaking them anyway? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Okay so now I have given you my view on the matter and I feel better about it :)
It's nice to know that I can write things here and know that everyone else has their own opinions on matters, but they will read my blog anyway.

No comments: